Tuesday, April 27, 2010

And what are YOU doing with your life, Mr. Collector?

We don't always deal with the rough and tumble end of society in collections, though it often seems like we do. But in amongst the unemployed, criminals, deadbeats, meth addicts, and those who have slipped through the cracks, there are some really amazing people.

There are all the stories about the minor celebrities people have found - reality TV stars, minor B-movie actresses, and sports figures, among others. But I'm more interested in the stories of people who are truly doing odd and creative things I've found.

Today I "found" someone I couldn't find because he is a busker in Barcelona. I came across one person doing an independent photography project of the southwestern desert (mind-bendingly amazing shots), and other doing portrait photography. I've found people doing great sculpture projects, touring Europe with jazz revues, and making documentaries and independent films.

Not that I've ever talked to any of these people (except the jazz musician, and that was on his way through the airport a few months ago). But by skipping them down, I get to see their work and what they are doing.

It does give some point for reflection of "so what are YOU doing, Mr. Collector?" as I sit and dial the phone trying yet again to reach the guy doing the southwest photos. There are very few philosophers in collections, and for most people its just a way to pay the bills and get by without really thinking much about it.

I came across one borrower who is an up and coming alt-country musician based now out of Texas. I read his bio, detailing his personal plummet leading to jail time due to booze and drugs until he decided to turn it all around a few years ago and put his life together. He started taking his songwriting seriously, and he's getting some notice.

I remembered the name, and looked him up when I got home. I'm playing one of his songs on his MySpace band page right now, and it's some pretty cool stuff - a good mellow storyteller vibe, detailing where he's been and what he's been through. (If I could link to it without violating FDCPA, I would. But I can't. Sorry.)

Me? I'm just sitting here with a drink in my hand, listening to some good music and writing a blog post. Hopefully someday soon I'll be doing more, knowing that this isn't the end, just a brief stop.

No comments: