Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Caller #2 - Family Reconnections

Caller #2 from that evening (two hours following Mr. Get A Real Job from previous post) wasn't sure why she was calling in. She was transferring phone numbers from her old phone to her new one, and came across our number with the listing of "Call Dottie - important".

"Dottie" (names changed) sits next to me, so I knew it had to be she was calling in on our line of business. Dottie had left a few hours earlier, otherwise I could have asked her if the name rang a bell. As it is, left to try phone number, name...

"It could be about my sister, I dunno...."

She gives me her sister's name - bingo. Dottie left a message with the borrower's sister as a contact reference. And, strangely enough, the account got moved in the last shuffle, and is now one of mine.

"Oh no - I hope I haven't gotten her in any trouble."

No trouble, I assure her. We're just trying to get a message to her about a business matter we need to touch base with her about.

"OK - I know she had some issues with student loans. She was the smart one, you know. Always was. She's kinda gone into hiding...might be kinda...what's the word? Agoraphobic."

Understandable, I tell her. That happens. We've tried her at the phone number listed - is that still good?

"Yeah - she never answers though. She used to have a really good job as a social worker. Really helping people who needed it."

Right, I say. One of the good people of the world.

"Yeah, then she lost the baby, and things just spiraled out of control. She lost the job, and now never leaves her house."

That's rough - miscarriage is an emotional roller-coaster. Had a close friend who went through that.

"Yeah - she just feels like everything is piled up around her. Is this a bad thing you're looking for her for?"

Not really. She might think it's one of the things piling up on her, but with how things seem to be, I think we can work something out to fix this.

"Oh good. I can tell you're one of those good people, too - just like my sister. You sound like you really want to help her out. Sorry if I'm rambling on...I've had a few glasses of wine..."

I laugh. All good, I say.

"If you do get ahold of her...could you ask her to call me? Tell her that her sister loves her and that I want to help her out with anything she needs? She helped me out of a spot a few years ago. Not that I think you will get ahold of her...but can you tell her that?"

Sure, I tell her. I'll pass that on.

"Okay, and if I talk to her first I'll give her this number and tell her its not as bad as she thinks. You're a good person...thank you so much."

Thank you. Have a great night.

"You too."

I actually did put in the notes to mention the sister if I get ahold of the borrower. The account, however, has since switched to a different collector, and I don't know who got it or any information to track the account. Whoever has it, I hope they pass the message on.

No comments: