Sunday, December 27, 2009

Breathe...breathe in the air...

I am going to spend the next week trying very very hard not to think about work. I have arrived safely back in the grand old State of Maine to catch up with family, friends, and some salt air at some point. And some quality time with Sam, which is always good. :)

Coming back is stranger every time, but I know I go a bit stir-crazy if I don't make it back about once a year. Place is just something that is in the blood if it's there, and with me it always has been. For better or worse.

Added bonus of the day - getting to have brunch with Shane McLaughlin and Mike Woodsum. I can't remember the last time I saw Shane, but I know the last time I saw Mike was at my father's funeral in 2001. So it's been a while.

We ate, joked about high school stuff - they both were glad I'd finally told the story of the Flush, which set off another round of memories. We talked about kids - Patrick's two girls were there with us, as was Sam - and the general state of the world and where we are.

Sorry that Mike had to head back to Seattle, though reconnecting with him gives me one more reason to visit the West Coast at some point in the near future. But a lot of this trip is connecting with people I've known for years, and trying to reconnect with where I came from. There's a lot of soul-searching in my immediate future, and I want some grounding before jumping in.

No comments: