Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Call reactions

One of the things that has amazed me is the range of reactions that I get when I actually get someone one the phone. They have to know something is up, since we have to verify by either date of birth or social security number to make sure we are speaking to the right person. (I tend to use date of birth - for some reason people get really freaked out when you tell them what the last four digits of their SSN are. Can't imagine why.)

So after they say yes to the date of birth question, the bomb is dropped regarding what the call is. And provided they don't just immediately hang up (the Extreme Panic reaction) there are some stock reactions.

Anger - How dare I! How dare I insist on this! I have the audacity and the nerve to...etc. I don't get this reaction often, as I usually give the benefit of the doubt with the question "Did you realize your loans were in default?" said in a tone implying I'm aware this may be complete news to them. Get as much info as you can, and pass off to supervisor if can't get further.

Excuses - Yes, the economy sucks, and catastrophe X has befallen you. Or multiple catastrophe x, y, z, and q. You still owe the debt, and we have many programs that can help you. Keep them talking, show them you want to help. Will generally end up in something.

No time - A variation on the excuse. Can't deal with this right now, caught me at a bad time. Hard to pin these people down - now that they know what you want, they don't have a whole lot of impulse to really want to speak with you further. Unless you have something definitive to hold over their head (tax withholding, wage garnishment) they are going to dodge and dodge until they vanish off into the sunset.

Panic - As long as it doesn't escalate to Extreme Panic, this is the best reaction possible. Often happens when calling at work. It's the "holy shit, you found me" sometimes said in exactly that fashion. These people are terrified, and if you can push quickly enough, will agree to pay you out of fear for what might happen because You Found Them. Often involves a lot of calming (at least in my handling), and a reassurance that while I am reasonable, I might also be the last reasonable person they will deal with.

I got a variation combination of the Extreme Panic/No Time today that just baffled me. I called, she said she didn't have time to speak with me right then, and then we set a time to call later on that evening. At the appointed time, I hear whispered "Tell him he has the wrong number" and a male voice informing me that I clearly have the wrong number. Nope, never heard of her. No one else home, no sir. Thank you very much. Because I'm just going to go away after that, right?

So what to do with that? Well, I have a verified phone number (at least on my end it is). From there, see if I can track an address, verify a town, and possibly maybe even track down a place of employment from one piece of information. Then call her at the office. It's a little puzzle, a mystery to work out.

And a note to those who control the music at work - turn off the Christmas music. I do NOT need to hear Bob Seeger crooning about poor Little Drummer Boys while I am explaining to someone what a Federal Tax Offset is (seizure of tax return). My head will eventually explode, and someone will have to clean that up.

No comments: