Wednesday, March 31, 2010

You play your guitar on the NPV...

There is much to write about, especially in the wake of the student loan provisions of the health care bill, and I will get to that soon.

But I want to clarify a post I'd made about how to get bonuses and/or keep your job regarding hitting major targets. There is also a system for getting a bonus check and keeping your job that is called NPV (net personal value).

NPV is essentially how much profit the company believes you should be pulling in so that they can justify paying you - a strange variation on commission sales. It is a calculation based on rehabilitated loans, amount of money you get paid in, number of wage garnishments, and dollar amounts of hardship programs. Different percentages are figured in for different amounts paid on loans, and obviously hardship programs are paid at a much lesser rate than rehabilitated loans.

The best of all worlds is to be able to hit both goals and NPV, in which case you get a substantial bonus check. I was pretty sure my goals were well out of reach at mid-March, and I hadn't thought at all about NPV - it was a complex calculation I hadn't put many brain cells toward.

But then a funny thing happened. I set up some very sizable hardship programs - several of them. And in the last half of the month, some large loans went through rehabilitation.

So I'm not near goal - I've only hit 70% of my rehab dollar goal with one day left, and only about 30% of another related target (though 100% of another), but with the hardship programs (over 100K total for the month) I will be at a high enough NPV to keep my job. Maybe even get a bonus check - we'll see.

I have mixed feelings about this - there is a part of me that was looking for this strange trip to come to its end, and now I'm staggering along for another month. On the other hand, with changes in personal life, this might also buy me the time to get things together and figure out what I need to do at this point and what I want to do.

And a final day to see if I can close out big.

No comments: