Friday, March 26, 2010

You can only help those who want it

So I finally had a resolution on the hardship program I wrote about in the "Disability" post. I'd called the borrower a couple of times, and she told me that her sister was very busy lately, and might have time later on in the month to help her with the paperwork.

I had it pointed out to me that the account had been in an "application in process" status for close to two months, and there needed to be a resolution on it immediately. Contact the sister and explain the situation.

So I called the sister, and got the husband on the phone instead. He explained to me that he believed my offer to be a scam, that he was having a lawyer read over the paperwork on his own time, they would contact us when they were good and goddamned ready, and by the way don't ever fucking call this house again.

Click.

And so ends that. As the sister is no longer a valid reference with her number marked as a Do Not Call number, the program is off the table. Loan is moved from "Application in progress" to "Direct Refuse to Pay". The codes show a direct refusal of the hardship program, which essentially means balance in full is due. Calls to this number will be direct and blunt. There is the possibility of her disability payments being garnished in the future at 15%.

I try to tell myself I did everything I could, but if I didn't have nagging doubts I wouldn't still be awake at quarter to four.

In the end one can only help those who want to be helped. It's a heck of a position, and one that I'm facing with a number of other hardship programs I have out there. But I'm just going to have to let them go, one way or another. I hope things turn around for them. But if they aren't willing to grab the rope, I can't do anything.

No comments: