Monday, September 1, 2014

The cleanup kinda sorta begins

In one of those "ain't life funny" coincidences, the Mayor's Corner column in the Pennysaver newspaper (yes, I read it) mentioned two things that caught my eye - tree suggestions (in front of my apartment, please and thank you), and also strengthening the Village Code for "unkempt properties".

"It hardly seems fair that the 97% of people who take pride in their homes should have to put up with those 3% who don't."  The plan itself will be developed over a period of several months.

I disagree with the Mayor's numbers - in the Village, at least, I think even a 90/10 might be generous. And I say that living in one of the properties that has LONG been a massive thorn in the side of any sense of aesthetics for the Village.

My contribution to maintaining decency has been the back yard.  It's been a long project, and finally looks good.  I get lots of compliments on it from complete strangers, which is always nice.

The front yard I had no control over due to the downstairs neighbors.  It has always looked like a pit, with divots and trash and general obnoxiousness when they're out there.

But with Josh and company finally looking like they are really really gone, and the success of getting the side yard finally cleaned up, my next door neighbor has been making subtle suggestions about how the front yard would look so much nicer with a little weeding.

So I've been weeding.  Leaving the daisies that I absolutely hate, because I don't want to get into a full reconstruction of the front yard yet.  But a few of them are coming back, and it really is improving the look of the place.

But there's a lot to be done.  Some final foundation work, the back section final repairs, gutter work, etc.  I don't know how much of it will finally get done before the snow hits, but I'll make the progress, and keep a sharp eye on the Mayor's column.  Living right by the path, I'm sure we'll be on the radar screen soon enough.

No comments: