Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Well, that was some excitement...

So this morning actually started in somewhat quiet.  One of the neighbors was going to file a CPS report on the downstairs neighbors, and I initially agreed to go talk with them as well.  My plan was to go talk to the police about CPS report, then go in to school for a few hours to deal with the piles of textbooks I know are waiting for me.

But I had to make a few school-related phone calls first, and by the time she texted me to say that she was at the police station, I was in a position where I couldn't leave.  I texted her best of luck, and that I'd pop on over to the station to corroborate the bits of her report about the foulness of the apartment and other kid issues.

Shortly after that text, all hell broke loose downstairs.  Fighting, yelling, slamming doors...I looked out the window to see Katelyn walking down the sidewalk with a double stroller and the two kids, shouting back at Josh that SHE was going to go for a bit.

"Get the FUCK back here, bitch!  Get your ass back here with my kids!"

There was an altercation behind the trees I couldn't see, and some shouting, then Josh pushing the stroller roughly over the edge of the embankment.  "Not like you have anywhere to fucking go anyway, bitch!"

Katelyn comes walking back down the sidewalk dragging the other two kids.  "Not like you do either.  And good luck passing a drug test to get a job, ya fuckin pothead."

And at this point, I'm calling the cops.

"911 dispatch, Genesee County"

I tell him my name, address, and explain the situation about the domestic disturbance I saw.  I indicate there are four children involved, and that there's a chance the male involved is stoned out of his mind.  (Given the smell of the hallway for the last couple of weeks, it's likely.)  I say Josh's name, and at that point he cuts me off.

"Josh.  Got it.  Officers are on their way."

Dear Lord, I thought.  When you're on a first name basis with 911 dispatch...

Someone else arrived shortly afterwards (older woman, not sure who), and the police arrived shortly afterwards.  One LeRoy PD, and two State trooper SUVs.

"Hey there, Josh.  Everything ok?"

Josh and Katelyn laughed it up for the officers.  "We had a brief dispute in the hallway, but we're fine now."

There was some other discussion, and they said they were going to stay with friends over on North Road.  The officer smiled, waved, and sat in his car, and waited for them to pack their stuff and leave.  All three cars waited.  And I watched.

It was possibly the most painful packing session I'd ever seen.  Drawn out, having to pretend for the audience...LeRoy PD leaving just before they did, but I'm certain to sit and see if they actually went to North Road.

I got a call from the person making the report, and told her I'd called the cops about Josh and Katelyn.  "That was what that was?!?!"  Then she told me the officer had just gotten on the phone with CPS when the scanner blew up about a domestic dispute involving drugs, were there weapons, we don't know, but we know the person involved, bring backup and lots of it...

He'd handed her the phone and said, "I gotta go.  Can you finish this?"

CPS said they were sending out someone, and she gave them my name as a contact to corroborate the story.  I said I would happily do that, but had to run downstairs to talk with Savannah about what was going on.

I spoke with her a bit about the electric issue, and about the cops, and CPS, and to be careful because Josh was out of his mind of late...and then CPS showed up.

They couldn't enter the apartment without Josh or Katelyn being there, but they saw the piles of trash and smelled the apartment from the foyer.  I couldn't corroborate a lot of the screaming incidents (I'd been doing Oliver at the time and was gone a lot in the evenings in July), but did say I could smell the apartment through my floors and I did call the police about the domestic incident.

She gave me her number, and I gave her Wendi's number about possibly gaining apartment access if necessary.  I got a card and number and was told to call if they showed up again.

Josh appeared a couple of times very briefly during the day, going in and out quickly and leaving.  He hasn't been here since 3:30, and I had a great visit with the next door neighbors over all the crap that's been going on.  (One neighbor mentioned how bitter she was that I was gone so much during July, being a mandated reporter.  I missed much of the yelling and awfulness.)

They also mentioned last night Josh was acting strange.  (I went to bed early and missed most of it.)  He was lurking around the edges of the house, and wandered next door.  The general consensus was A - stoned out of his mind, and B - looking for an outside power outlet.

So at this point...I don't know.  I have to go to Professional Development tomorrow - this is not an option.  So I'm trusting all will go well, and nothing truly crazy will happen.  I'm going to put a small piece of duct tape on the door so I can tell if anyone has been there.  So we'll see.  Either way, I think we're reaching an end...

No comments: