Monday, July 7, 2014

Useful systems and tools for productivity

There are a million productivity tools out there on the market, most of which are useless.  I'm trying out a few of them while I'm also trying to change habits and kick-start a few things.  I'll share what I've been utilizing, and how it's been working.

There's a website called Zen Habits that has been leading the charge in habit formation.  Frankly put, most everything I've seen in the past year about habit formation seems to have stolen it outright from Leo, and he doesn't seem to care.  He's got a paid portion of the site called Sea Change (10 bucks a month) with special articles and a focus every month.  Last month was Getting Up Early (I failed to participate, plan on doing as a side project), and right now it's De-Cluttering.  http://Zenhabits.net

5 min Journal is an iPhone app I've been using - it's a Gratitude journal, remarkably uncomplicated, and really does only take 5 min per session (morning and evening).  I'm getting better about using it, and I'm trying to make it an every day thing.  It's a great way to start the day.

The 100 day challenge is a motivational program that is very direct and straightforward.  And the full program is...expensive.  Given my financial situation, I'm paying for as little as possible, but the motivational videos and other materials are great places to start.  I am setting my own "100 Day Challenge" that will bring me into the first month of school, so the idea of focusing on that long term is really helping me as well.

So those are the major ones I'm using right now.  I do get the regular emails from the Sethi brothers (Ramit and Maneesh), and I get a lot out of those, but those aren't so much systems.  Maneesh is working on a habit device called Pavlok, though a lot of his studies very closely mirror Leo's from Zen Habits, so I'm going to stick with Leo.  I've gotten some other reading suggestions that I'll talk about as well, and if anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them.

No comments: