Sunday, July 31, 2011

Professional/Civic Organizations

As I've been filling out the job application for Geneseo Elementary, there is a section for Professional/Civic Organizations - with multiple spaces. And it's making me realize the degree to which I've pretty much checked out over the past year.

Since as far as that goes, I got nothin'.

There are, of course, a multitude of reasons for that - it has been a year of recovery and trying to reconnect with life as things have been shaken like a snow globe. I really was looking forward to going into September recharged, ready to implement a whole lot of what I've been learning and re-connecting with.

But employers don't want to hear that. They want to hear that you are a Competent Professional. Especially in a town like Geneseo, they want to see you as a grounded, well-rounded member of society. A few years ago, I would have had a lot to put on there, but for the moment I got nothing.

I suppose I can rejoin NYLA (as my current income is nothing, it should be relatively cheap), which I probably should have done at the beginning of the year anyway. And I've been doing a lot of professional development - learning about the Common Core and new books - but there really isn't space for it.

Guess I just need a really really good cover letter. :)

No comments: