Sunday, September 26, 2010

Class action lawsuit over time nine years ago

I got a letter in the mail from a law firm out in Minnesota, asking for my participation in a class-action lawsuit against Guitar Center for wage violations during the time I worked there. One of those "we don't admit wrongdoing but we'll pay a few million to make it go away" kind of deals. Based on the couple of months I worked there, I think my take will be about 45 bucks before taxes.

Guitar Center was an odd place to work, to say the least, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. I met Skip Lefti there, and went on to run sound for the band he played with, King Domino. It led to the first revival meeting I ever went to - the only white person in attendance at a hotel in downtown Rochester over two days (no idea how I got talked into that - just felt that SOMEONE should accompany about ten grand worth of sound equipment we'd lent out for reasons that made sense to my manager).

I suppose I should do a run on those stories, but as I'm sitting here drinking coffee alone on a Sunday morning, I have one very happy memory.

The store staff was a bunch of guys (with the exception of the payroll clerk, who was drop dead gorgeous and an amateur boxer not to be trifled with - but I digress), and as with all fraternal organizations, there were stupid crap we did. And one was a "call on Line 9" in your department.

The phone extensions only went up to 8. "Call to Pro Audio on Line 9" translated to "there is a fantastically hot chick headed to your department, you lucky bastard".

So one particular day, announcement comes over the system, "Pro Audio, you have an urgent call on Line 9. URGENT CALL, Line 9."

Someone's head got spun...let's see who this hottie is...

And she was. Jaws dropped, heads spun. Long red hair, curves for miles, legs to die for.

And she came up and kissed me. :)

"Hey dear, just wanted to stop by and say hi and find out when you were coming home."

"I'm closing tonight, so I should be home by 9:30 or so."

The department was dead silent as she walked out, with all the other clerks staring at me. And I just smiled.

I don't know why that memory came up when I got the mailing, but it did. And I'll have to write up some other GC stories - it was an eventful couple of months.

No comments: