Saturday, February 13, 2010

A brief snapshot in the life

Putting my legal training to work, I was able to quickly find an appellate court opinion published online about one of the borrowers I was trying to find. And interpret it to find out that the court determined the search of his car was unconstitutional, so the charge of possession of methamphetamines must be dropped.

Given also that the DUI charge was based on the meth found in the car (as opposed to the erratic driving that took out his neighbor's mailbox, and the neighbor's testimony as an EMT as to the driver's condition while happily chatting with the neighbor and trying to accelerate over the mailbox to free the car), that charge must also be dropped, and the case remanded back to the lower court.

Presumably, the charges remaining have to do with the borrower biting a police officer in the leg and attempting to remove the taser from the officer's belt. This happened after he'd been pulled over for sideswiping a guard rail following the mailbox incident, and arrested for DUI.

I was laughing when my manager came over and looked over my shoulder, and I told him what I'd found. "Funny, but did you learn anything useful?"

"Yep - the appellate opinion confirms the home address of the borrower. But, given it's a 2009 decision, I'm guessing he's in jail over this right now."

He nodded. "Yeah - I wouldn't waste too much time on it. Small balance anyway."

And I thought I had problems...

No comments: