Saturday, February 6, 2010

And H&R Block will still want to be paid

One of the major selling points for getting a student loan back into good standing in the past month or so has been tax returns. If we get you into a rehabilitation program NOW, then you can file your taxes and get your return when you find out the tax lien has been lifted. Often, that is enough to get people to sign right up.

Now, we're getting the phone calls of those who filed early, had dreams of spending that money of stuff, only to find it's going to pay for a student loan. So here's the phone number to call.

These calls are not nearly so much fun, since the answer of what we can do is simple: nothing. WE, as a company, did not take your return. We do not have that kind of power. The guarantor took the funds, we are the messengers only.

And no, they will not give them back. Have your spouse file a form, and you might get their portion of the return back. Maybe.

Yes, you can tell me how you need the money for your sick mother, or your house burnt down, or you needed it for security deposit so you won't be living on the street. I can still do absolutely nothing for you. Sorry. Start paying, and I assure you that you won't lose them next year.

Of course, my colleagues tell me that half the stories are lies anyway - people will tell debt collectors anything to try and get through and get what they want. And that may be true - I don't know. I don't know them.

A depressing topic, and a reminder I need to deal with my own taxes this year, which I am NOT looking forward to. Off to do housework, as I have the full weekend off for the first time in recent memory.

No comments: