Thursday, January 1, 2015

A first post for 2015

So I am now solidly in Apartment A, former apartment of Dan and Wendy and all the drama that came with the place.  Some assembly required.
The new guy is moving in upstairs today – he looked kinda shocked when he first got out of the car.  “Oh God – this place!”  He pointed across the street.  “I lived over there two years ago.  These people were out of control over here!!!!”
Beth (Kevin’s girlfriend and now manager of the apartments) opened her eyes wide at me.  I laughed. “Yeah, two years ago was the ‘peak crazy’ around here.  They’re all gone now though.   Mary is quiet.  I’m a librarian.”
He’s moving in from the local boarding house down by the railroad tracks, a very “special” kind of place here in town.  (Last time it was in the local paper, it was for a guy hitting another resident with a vodka bottle while stoned on meth AND getting blown by an underage girl.  Talk about multitasking.)  Needless to say, the new resident (Brian?  Barry?) of Apartment C is more than happy to have a place of his own.
So, just short of five years into what was supposed to be a very temporary move, I’m now downstairs and trying to fix this apartment.  I run into Josh every once in a while – he’s living in a tiny trailer down a back road in town, and I see his van swerving all over the road, or running up the street with his four-ways on as smoke pours out. 

I’ve got some old stories I still need to write, but honestly I’ve been enjoying the relative peace and quiet of late.  Just need to get things in order, write on a more daily basis, and get things moving.

No comments: